Monday, March 15, 2010

Australian National Downhill Series 2009/10






The Australian National Downhill Series 2009/10 was completed with the round 4 conducted last weekend at Mt Stromlo, Canberra (Venue for the 2009 World Champs and a round of the World Cup earlier). This was my first season in Under 19 - Juniors and it started well with a 5th placing at Hobart Tasmania. The second round was conducted at Shepparton Victoria on a track which was very steep, loose and dusty (ask Graeme - Team Geronimo). Unfortunately, I crashed during practice and scrambled my head which led to concussion for a day and I really never got going again and finished in 10th position. Off to Thredbo for round 3 and it rained heavily from the time we arrived until we left and was no doubt the worst conditions I have ever ridden or raced in - a great experience but horrible riding!!! I was not on my game and after crashing in my race run finished 18th. Down to Mt Stromlo for the final round last weekend with my new Legend MKII and a strong determination to finish the season off on a better note. Despite some mechanicals (broken rear axle) I felt comfortable and rode well to finish 7th and less than 1.5 secs between 4th and 7th places. This placed me 8th overall for the Series and puts me in a good position for our local race season which commences in a month. The MKII performed fantastically and drew a lot of attention in Canberra with a couple of riders expressing that they may consider buying one in due course.

A big 'thank you' to Darren Boman - Barspin Imports (Team Banshee Australia) for his support and encouragement right through the series and to Banshee Bikes (Keith & Jay) for their support. As a lead in to the 2010/11 Aussie National Series I am considering heading to Whistler in August for Crankworx and the Canadian Open. Good luck to all Team Geronimo and all the riders racing World Cups this year on Banshee. Ben Power