Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Genius behind the Legend Mk 1 and other Banshee logos

When we were creating the new Banshee bikes, we started with trying to figure out what would appeal to the rider. Being a smaller company without "money-guys" or "bean-counters" dictating what we could or could not do really helps to when it comes to the creative process when figuring out how to represent the bikes in an asthetic sense.
Considering Keith is such a numbers guy I was surpised at how well he was able to come up with names that really captured the essence of the bikes... I think he named more then 5 of them.
It started with us brainstorming what the bike meant, the vibe it gave off, the soul at its very core. Isn't a bike more then a bunch of aluminium tubes? how can something that is so cool, and make grown adults act like little excited preschoolers be nothing more... they must have a soul.

Ran Berko... is the guys who was able to climb inside my brain and pull out how I imagined what the soul of the bike would look like. From my extremely vague descriptions he was able to come up with the perfect graphics.
As Ran explains after discussing the soul of the bike it was time to look for sources for inspiration.
"The process on creating the legend icon:
The concept, as me and Jay spoke about, was to create an icon

with glory, fame, historic and legendary. We spoke about the image t hat have connection to knight's and hero's.
Well the first thing I started doing was to search for images and then creating something like an inspiration board. In this case I searched for shields and sword's and then started to move to Vikings images and Vikings helmets.
I found a very strong image that really works well with the concept.
I saw a lot of eagles wings that are structure of the eagles wings appear in the knight image, and as a result I succeeded to combine the two into an abstract form of legend and hero." says Ran

Not only an amazing graphics guy, Ran will be rocking this year on a Rampant 4X in his native Israel