Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Taiwan Trip

So my flight is tomorrow at 1am on the 22nd of Jan and its Sunday night. I'm watching the Apprentice, thinking about what i need to do to get prepared for my trip tomorrow - find passport, get money exchanged, pack etc.
I just sat down to watch the last half hour when my phone goes off and I check it to find its a message from the airline... in fact its the message that I requested they send me 3 hours before boarding, WTF??? why am I getting this now as I don't leave until tomorrow. I start running the math in my head [its Jan 21 at 10:30 and I don't leave until Jan 22 at 1am] OMFG thats in 3hours... how the heck did i screw that up.
So is it even possible to pack and drive the 20min to the airport, then get through check in, security, and make it to the gate on time? Well I need to try our i'm out 2K and I really need to talk to the factory about the Wildcard prototype.
Good news is I am writting this at midnight at the gate... things went pretty smooth, unless of course when I get home my place is burnt to the ground cause in the rush i forgot to turn the stove off or something similar. To be honest I've cut it a lot closer on other flights where I've been running at full speed across the concourse as they page my name for final boarding for the 3rd time. Being unprepared to go on a trip at this distance is not something that appeals to me but I had no time and no choice.

Jan 23rd, 4pm
After an uneventful 12hour redeye flight I arrive an hour late... we were late leaving cause of some boner named Sergei whatever who dumped his luggage but decided not to drag his ass to the gate. Pilot at the end of the flight said it was due to head winds but he must think we're all idiots as we left an hour late and are arriving an hour late - how is this due to head winds?? I don't believe half the crap they feed you so you don't get all freaked out. Sergei was probaly Russian mafia that was trying to escape but the cops took him down before he boarded the plane or whatever but they're not gonna tell you that.
Its a cloudy day in Taiwan but its really warm... not really, I'm just coming from 2C in Vancouver so 8C seems warm to me now. Driving to the factory I can't believe the balls of the old ladys on those little scooters - well anyone on those scooters - as they dart in an out of the cars splitting lanes and riding on the shoulder when it presents itself. I ride a motorcycle myself and have to say some of these moves are even hairy for what I would attempt - apparantly there are lots of accidents- I can't wait to rent a scooter [they don't allow big bikes like my 600 over here].
Arriving at the factory I drop off my bags at the factory hotel - its actually a dormatory for their customers... I won't mention who has stayed here as although I have nothing to hide that we get our frames manufactured in Taiwan I still think it might be a dirty word for some manufacturers so I won't mention any names.
Actually if you were to tour the factory you'd be really impressed with the high quality of the machines and the skill of all the workers... and no they get paid pretty good... not on par with the US but then again the cost of living is a little different. From my view point they will be where Japan is now with cars in a decade or so - Japan used to produce shit in the 70s but now they're stuff is the arguably the best quality in the world [argue between German and Japanese IMHO].
Taiwan is totally different then China manufacturers who are still on a learning curve for quality but eventually they'll get there. To be perfectly honest I'd love to manufacture in Canada and remember the fun I had when I used to work at the first Syncros in Vancouver manufacturing top of the line components, but times change and the reality is very few of the riders are prepared to shell out $3000USD for a frame that they can't perceive is any different then something of lesser sticker price and to be honest I think they seem to careless when dollar is king. Look at all the Mom and Pops that are going under cause of the Walmarts of the world but even the workers at said Mom and Pops will shop guilt free at the same stores in-turn jeopardizing their own employment... ah yes its a crazy world. I digress though into my global economic observations... back to the trip.
Can't get my camera to talk to this laptop with Chinese characters all over it... how they heck they can read what that stuff says is beyond me and don't get me started on how you could actually write it - its cool nonetheless. Shin [Korean Banshee guy] says you can learn the Korean alphabet on the plane over to Korea but again I don't know about that. As soon as I figure this out I'll upload some pics...
Anybody want me to post about something while I'm over here? I got 1 more day and then I fly back - yup only 2 days- but I plan to stay longer next time and hopefully rent a scooter for some smashem crashem downtown traffic goodtimes [i'll remember to buy health insurance] and go to the top of the 101.
more to come....

The 2 pics are outside of the factory. One is the garden with its fish pond and the other is the outside tea area.